Following the tragic incident at Grenfell Tower in London, the Army families Federation (AFF) has approached the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO), to clarify whether multi-storey Service Families Accommodation (SFA) features any external cladding, which would potentially present a fire risk.
DIO checked the position of this issue and were able to inform AFF that multi-storey buildings are predominantly brick construction. The external wall insulation used on recent energy efficiency upgrades to military housing has also been confirmed as meeting all relevant building and fire regulations.
AFF Housing Specialist Cat Calder said, “Ensuring the safety of our Army families is paramount and AFF has received assurances of safety from all relevant parties involved. DIO has also advised us that a review will now be carried out of all non-habitable areas such as stairwells, plant rooms and communal areas, to confirm the safety of the Army families living there.”
If families are at all concerned about safety in their SFA, they should contact housing maintenance and repairs contractor CarillionAmey (CA) directly on 0800 707 6000 or contact AFF’s Housing Specialist Cat Calder on firstname.lastname@example.org
To find out more about AFF’s work in support of Army families, visit www.aff.org.uk
Notes to Editor:
- The Army Families Federation (AFF) is the independent voice of Army families: Regular or Reserve, wherever they are based, whatever the make-up of their family.
- Throughout the UK and overseas, AFF works hard to achieve policy change and progress in favour of Army families; they offer advice and guidance on all aspects of Army life, confidentially and in an easy-to-digest way.
- They work with other agencies such as MOD, government, charities and other key players to strengthen their cause and fight for a fair deal for families everywhere.
- Their family-focussed website (aff.org.uk) contains information about all aspects of Army family life, and their Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages offer families other easy ways to contact us, interact with us, or simply follow the work we are doing.
- AFF operates by four core values, which are pivotal to our work. These are:
- AFF always puts families first
- AFF can be trusted
- AFF is bold and determined
- AFF is inclusive
For more information about AFF’s work, contact Donna Bernard, AFF Comms & Marketing Director, at email@example.com