***THIS JOB VACANCY HAS NOW CLOSED***
Position: Finance Trustee, Board of Trustees
Term of service: 3 year term with possibility for re-election
Time Commitment: Quarterly Trustee meetings in-person, monthly video calls plus additional time on an ad hoc basis to review documents and fulfil obligations
About the charity
Mesothelioma UK is a national specialist resource centre, specifically for the asbestos-related cancer, mesothelioma. The charity is dedicated to providing specialist mesothelioma information, support and education, and to improving care and treatment for all UK mesothelioma patients and their carers. It has also been a modest funder of research over the last few years.
The charity integrates into NHS front line services to ensure specialist mesothelioma nursing is available at the point of need. This is achieved through a growing network of specialist mesothelioma nurses, regionally based in NHS hospitals but funded by Mesothelioma UK.
We are currently looking to complement our current Board of Trustees with people who have a passion for high quality healthcare and cancer care in particular. We need trustees to provide leadership and support as we fulfil our mission and vision.
More information about the charity is available in the Application Pack.
About the role
We are particularly interested in hearing from qualified accountants with a recognised accounting and finance qualification, as well as a proven ability to communicate and explain financial information to members of the Board and other stakeholders. Experience of finance in a non-profit setting is desirable but not essential.
The appointed Trustees will aid the current board. This may involve:
- Scrutinising board papers
- Leading discussions
- Focusing on key issues
- Providing guidance on new initiatives and long-term strategy
- Other issues in which the trustee has special expertise
Skills and experience
- Qualified accountant with demonstrated commercial awareness and knowledge.
- Proven ability to communicate and explain financial information to members of the Board and other stakeholders.
- Analytical and evaluation skills, demonstrating good judgement.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Dedicated to the organisation’s cause and objectives and willing to act as the charity’s ambassador to external bodies, charities and companies.
- A team-oriented approach to problem solving and to management.
- Skills and experience in one or more areas of non-executive governance and management e.g. strategic planning, business management, financial/accountancy, experience of Trusts or other grant giving bodies particularly fundraising and legal knowledge.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of charity fundraising and finance practices.
The current Trustees of Mesothelioma UK have all found their roles extremely rewarding and have been proud to be a significant part of bringing the charity to its current and strong position. Mesothelioma UK has become an essential part of the mesothelioma community in the UK, developing services essential to those affected by the disease. We believe that whilst what has been achieved so far is impressive, there is so much more that could be done. New trustees would be in a strong position to support and influence the ambitious plans that are currently under development to take Mesothelioma UK to a new level of impact.
Please see the Application Pack for details on the legal duties of a Trustee.
Please submit your CV along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Shortlisting will take place on an ongoing basis and we reserve the right to close the application process at any time.