***THIS JOB VACANCY HAS NOW CLOSED***
Location: Travel throughout Scotland
Reporting to: Learning and Outreach Manager
Salary: £25,000 per annum (FT) £12,500 per annum (PT)
Contract: Permanent annualised hours.
The Moving Poppy is a unique and ambitious project taking elements of Lady Haig’s Poppy Factory tour experience and Poppyscotland’s archive collection, on the road. The purpose-built vehicle will be free-to-access and accessible-to-all and will tour Scotland from early 2019 as a legacy to commemorate the centenary of the end of the First World War. It will deliver lessons and activities related to the poppy, remembrance and veterans across Scotland. The project has been funded by the Chancellor using LIBOR Funds and Heritage Lottery Fund.
Purpose of the post
We are recruiting one full-time and one part-time driver. The Moving Poppy Driver will undertake the operation, driving and route planning of the Moving Poppy vehicle throughout Scotland. The vehicle is an 18T truck, with expanding sides. They will also support the Moving Poppy Learning and Outreach Officer in the delivery of activities. This role will regularly involve nights away from home.
- Driving the vehicle to and from outreach activities throughout Scotland.
- Maintaining records of driving hours, distance travelled and ensuring compliance with legal requirements such as health and safety regulations.
- Work with the team to prepare an appropriate route plan for journeys, taking factors such as road conditions and height restrictions into account, as well as weather and fuel needs.
- On arrival at site, set up and open up the vehicle appropriately for the audience requirements.
- Undertake regular, routine maintenance checks of the vehicle, fixtures and fittings including fuelling, oil checks, water and tyres as well as organising vehicle servicing and reporting maintenance requirements to enable them to be dealt with appropriately.
- Maintain the overall tidiness and cleanliness of the vehicle internally and externally.
- Ensure the safe operation of the activities, whilst contributing to day to day operational planning and discussion.
- Support the Moving Poppy Outreach and Learning Officer in the delivery of activities.
Key Skills / Qualities
- A full current Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) is essential.
- Experience of driving an 18T vehicle on a variety of road types.
- Proven track record in basic vehicle maintenance and a working understanding of vehicle mechanics.
- Ability to work as part of a close-knit team while using your own initiative, demonstrating a professional approach to work at all times is key.
- Ability to identify and solve problems e.g. route changes/weather challenges is a must, as is the ability to keep accurate records e.g. driving hours, mileage, fuel use and expenditure.
- Good planning and organisational skills demonstrating flexibility of approach when required.
- Positive approach, whilst acting in a way which projects personal credibility, inspires trust and helps you share your knowledge and experience.
- Keeping up to date with relevant legislation.
- Good relationship skills and willingness to interact with children and young people.
- Flexible and able to undertake regular travel and overnight stays around Scotland.
- A PVG certificate will be required for the successful candidate.
- Previous military experience may be of benefit to this role.
Further information and a full job description is available at poppyscotland.org.uk/about-us/current-vacancies.
Please send your CV and covering letter, highlighting how you meet the key skills and experience, to email@example.com by Monday 28 January 2019.
Interviews are likely to be in Glasgow on 13th February 2019.
If you have not been contacted within 2 weeks of the closing date you may conclude that you have not been short-listed for interview. As a charity we are unable to respond to all applications received due to the costs involved.
Poppyscotland is a member of The Royal British Legion group of charities, and is a trading name of The Earl Haig Fund Scotland, Scottish Charity No SC 014096. A Company limited by guarantee, Registered in Scotland No 194803 at New Haig House, Logie Green Road, Edinburgh EH7 4HR. The Royal British Legion, Haig House, 199 Borough High Street, London SE1 1AA. Charity Registration No 219279.