It has already raised almost £50,000 for Scotland’s Armed Forces community, and today Poppyscotland has announced that its popular and successful Come Dancing event, in association with Toe 2 Toe Dance, will return for a third time in 2020.
The event, which takes place at the Macdonald Drumossie Hotel, follows the same format as the popular BBC television series in that dancing pairs are made up of one beginner/amateur together with an experienced dancer from Toe 2 Toe Dance.
Poppyscotland North of Scotland Regional Fundraiser Frances Beveridge, who organises the event, said: “Come Dancing with Poppyscotland in Association with Toe 2 Toe Dance is a fun way to learn a new skill, get fit and raise vital funds and awareness for Poppyscotland. The dancers learn a Latin and a ballroom dance which they will perform on the night, and our judges will score to decide who wins the ‘Glitter Ball’.
“There is also another trophy for the ‘Top Fundraiser’ which recognises the individual who has raised the most money for the charity throughout their Come Dancing journey. It is this kind of fundraising that can help Poppyscotland to provide even more life-changing support for the Armed Forces community living in Scotland today.”
Frances added: “Applications are open from now until July 31st, so if you would like to be part of this fabulous event please get in touch. If you are a business and you would like to support us, then please get in touch as there are many ways in which you can help. We can’t thank enough the business that have supported Come Dancing for the past two years, along with everyone else that has helped make the event such an incredible success.
“Even if you think you have two left feet, you should sign up to dance as you have nothing to lose and so much to gain. And, who knows, it could be you who lifts the Glitter Ball trophy or the Top Fundraiser trophy in 2020!”
For this year’s event, a sell-out crowd of more than 300 gathered at the hotel to watch the duo of Audrey Anderson and Toe 2 Toe dancer Paul Robertson lift the coveted Glitter Ball. The Top Fundraiser was Liz Sutherland, who raised more than £2,500. Following on from the event’s success, Come Dancing with Poppyscotland in association with Toe 2 Toe Dance was nominated for a Collaboration Award at this year’s Royal British Legion Awards. Tickets for the event went on sale in November and were sold out by Christmas.
If you are interested in applying to take part, or are a business who would like to sponsor part of the event, please contact Frances Beveridge, Poppyscotland North of Scotland Regional Fundraiser, on 01463 701 764, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notes to Editors
- For further information and all media enquiries, please contact Fraser Bedwell, Head of Marketing at Poppyscotland, on 07989 419026, or email at email@example.com.
- Total raised from the events in 2018 and 2019: £46,309.91.
- Images are free to use. Please credit: Highland Dreams Photography.
- Supporting businesses:
- Toe 2 Toe Dance (Choreography, Outfits, lighting & Sound and Programme Information)
- The Macdonald Drumossie Hotel (Venue)
- North Highland Radio (Media)
- CoCo Salon & SPA (Hair & Make Up)
- Highland Graphics (Programmes and Tickets)
- Highland Dreams Photography (Photographer)
- Corporate Sponsors (who supported the dancers and opening Toe 2 Toe group dance):
- Inverness Airport
- D Gunn Funeral Directors
- Calder Electricals
- Loch Ness by Jacobite
- Curves, Inverness
- Macleod & MacCallum
- Trinity Insurance (Second year supporting the event)
- Morris Lesley
- Common Good Fund, Highland Council
- ADM Electrical (Scotland) Ltd
- Gleaner Oils (Second year supporting the event)
- C D McNeill Tarmac & Civil Contractors
- D Y Fraser Ltd
- GMS Accountancy Ltd
- Mitchell Motorcycles (Second year supporting the event)
- Morrison Construction (Second year supporting the event)
- Poppyscotland provides life-changing support to the Armed Forces community. Money raised from the Scottish Poppy Appeal and Poppyscotland’s year-round fundraising enables them to deliver support to members of the Armed Forces community in Scotland by providing tailored funding and assistance. The charity also funds services in advice, employment, housing, mental health, mobility and respite. Please note that we are known as “Poppyscotland”, and not “PoppyScotland” or “Poppy Scotland”. For more information, please visit us at: poppyscotland.org.uk.
- The Macdonald Drumossie Hotel is one of the leading conference and function venues in the Highlands and combines heritage, luxury and convenience all in one outstanding venue. It is situated in nine acres of stunning parkland – only ten minutes from the city centre and a few minutes from the A9 – and lies within easy close reach of several of the finest links golf courses in the world. In addition, the hotel is perfectly positioned for the rich, local heritage of Culloden, Loch Ness and the Cairngorms, making it perfect for a relaxing break or a romantic getaway. For further information, please contact Brett Jackson or Lesley Eaton, Granite PR, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com, or call 07808 727 167 or 07595 200 662.