When applying for a job it can be difficult to know exactly what employers and recruiters want from candidates.
The OA recently hosted a panel discussion with recruiters to answer questions about the job application process, during the recent OA Employment Symposium in York.
The panel included Michael Sanderson, Siemens Talent Acquisition Partner; Leanne Wood, Network Rail Defence Engagement Manager; Tony Ellender, Balfour Beatty Emerging Talent Manager; Korinna Sjoholm, Berwick Partners Associate Partner, and Sharon Goodall, NHS Digital HR Manager.
Below are some of the questions asked and the panel’s answers.
How can senior transitioning officers, who have a broad range of skills, choose the right career path?
- Look at company websites to see the skills required in different departments, and see if the job roles appeal
- Look at jobs in project management, operations or roles that require leadership or a broad range of skills.
What is a ‘competitive salary’?
- Organisations are often reluctant to declare the salary so competitors cannot tempt talented employees away with better offers
- Organisations sometimes want some flexibility in the salary they offer, to reflect the exact skills and experiences of the successful candidate
- Research online what is the average salary for jobs that interest you so you know what to expect.