After capturing the hearts of the nation with a series of incredible concerts last year, Scotland’s best-known military band is teaming up once again with leading Armed Forces charity Poppyscotland for a mini-tour in 2019. Members of The Band of The Royal Regiment of Scotland met today at the Shore of Leith to launch ‘Walking With Heroes 2’, which will see the Band perform in Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Galashiels later in the year.
The 2018 tour – along with an accompanying CD – helped to raise thousands of pounds for Poppyscotland and it is hoped that more will be raised this year to support the country’s Armed Forces community.
Among the Band members taking part in today’s launch at Leith Shore were Corporal Scott Macfarlane and Musician Brittany Johnnie. Also in attendance was Gordon Michie, the Head of Fundraising at Poppyscotland, who said:
“All over the country, hundreds flocked to watch The Band of The Royal Regiment of Scotland perform last year, and it was a privilege for Poppyscotland to be in partnership with such a talented group of musicians.
“The Band’s schedule is incredibly busy in 2019, but it is fantastic that they have managed to secure three dates later in the year. We are delighted to have the opportunity to work with the Band again. The tour will provide a great opportunity for music-lovers to experience the unmistakable and memorable sound of Scotland’s State Band. We urge everyone to get their hands on tickets as soon as possible as they are sure to sell out fast!”
The tour begins on 18 October at the Freemasons Hall, on Edinburgh’s George Street. The following month, the Band will return to the Beach Ballroom, in Aberdeen, before the third and final concert on 19 December at the Volunteer Hall, Galashiels. Tickets for the concerts are available now by visiting: https://secure.artezglobal.com/registrant/startup.aspx?eventid=47067. New for this year – and included thanks to calls from multiple music lovers – will be the unmistakeable and haunting sound of Scottish bagpipes.
The Band of the Royal Regiment of Scotland is one of the 22 Regular Army bands and is based at Dreghorn Barracks, Edinburgh. It is a symphonic wind band with the additional capability of a Ceilidh band. The main role of the band is to support the Army, the State and Ceremonial occasions that occur within Scotland.
It also performs all over the world. In recent years, the Band has travelled to Hong Kong, New Zealand, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Germany and Canada. Every year, it performs at the world-famous Edinburgh Military Tattoo in front of sell-out crowds at Edinburgh Castle during the capital’s Fringe Festival.
The Band, which was formed in 2006, continues to protect and maintain the extraordinary legacy of military music in Scotland. It combines the crucial traditional elements of our forefathers while continually engaging with the youth of Scottish society to maintain interest and support from younger generations.
Poppyscotland provides life-changing support to the Armed Forces community. Money raised from the Scottish Poppy Appeal and Poppyscotland’s year-round fundraising enables them to deliver support to members of the Armed Forces community in Scotland by providing tailored funding and assistance. The charity also funds services in advice, employment, housing, mental health, mobility and respite.
Notes to Editors
- For further information and to arrange an interview, please contact David A. Findlay, PR Manager at Poppyscotland, on 079797 35611, or email at email@example.com.
- For more information on the tour, please visit: www.poppyscotland.org.uk/walking-with-heroes-2019/.
- To purchase tickets to any of the concerts, please visit: https://secure.artezglobal.com/registrant/startup.aspx?eventid=47067.
- CAPTION INFORMATION: Launching the ‘Walking With Heroes 2’ series of concerts, to be held from October to November 2019 at the Shore of Leith are (from left) [name of first Band member not to be used]; Corporal Scott Macfarlane; and Musician Brittany Johnnie, from The Band of the Royal Regiment of Scotland, based at Dreghorn Barracks, Edinburgh.
- Photography for Poppyscotland by Colin Hattersley Photography. Contact details: firstname.lastname@example.org and 07974 957 388. For more information, please visit: www.colinhattersley.com.
- The Band of The Royal Regiment of Scotland 2019 tour schedule is as follows:
|1||Edinburgh||Freemasons Hall||96 George Street, Edinburgh, EH2 3DH||18 October|
|2||Aberdeen||Beach Ballroom||Beach Promenade, Aberdeen, AB24 5NR||22 November|
|3||Galashiels||Volunteer Hall||St John Street, Galashiels, TD1 3JX||19 December|
- Please note that we are known as “Poppyscotland”, and not “PoppyScotland” or “Poppy Scotland”. For more information, please visit us at: www.poppyscotland.org.uk.