£8.50 per hour
Home based – Wiltshire
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Gurkha Community Support Worker in the Gurkha Services team at SSAFA, the UK’s oldest national tri-service military charity.
About the role
This is a great opportunity for a fluent Nepali speaker to assist in providing casework, coaching and welfare services within the local Gurkha community in Wiltshire. The role will mainly be based in Swindon but there may be occasional travel to other areas in Wiltshire.
Under the direction of the Branch Secretary, you will assist and support the Gurkha clients who approach SSAFA for help in developing links with the wider local community, assist them in integration, promote relevant activities and help them access local services, benefits and entitlements.
The role will enable you to fully utilise your fluent English and Nepali communication skills, as well as attend mandatory training courses in relation to the role.
You will act as a SSAFA representative, advocate, interpreter and coordinator at client interviews during home visit appointments and assist in disseminating information appropriately to the volunteers and clients, as well as support in training activities.
To carry out this role successfully you will have
- Excellent communication skills and be fluent in both English and Nepali with the ability to translate complex information between languages.
- Strong organisational, written and IT skills (including using databases) with a keen eye for detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills with the ability to work as part of a team as well as independently.
- Knowledge of Gurkha community and culture.
- The ability to travel within the county of Wiltshire
SSAFA is an employer that values the diversity of its workforce and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
For further information
If you have any queries or would like to speak to someone about this role, please contact Sheila Limbu on 02074639227 for an informal discussion.
To apply, visit SSAFA’s website
Closing date: Midnight on 27 February 2018.
Interviews: 16 March 2018.
SSAFA is an Equal Opportunities Employer and is committed to using the Disclosure & Barring Service.