Two sailors from a sailing charity in Cornwall have passed a coveted Royal Yachting Association (RYA) exam.
Turn to Starboard CEO Shaun Pascoe and sailing instructor Dan Fielding both passed the Yachtmaster Instructor assessment at Falmouth last week.
The five-day course is for candidates who are already experienced RYA Cruising Instructor skippers and was a combination of tuition and assessment. The qualification enables the pair to instruct the practical course of Coastal Skipper and the Coastal and Offshore preparation courses, as well as the navigational courses in the classroom up to Yachtmaster Offshore level.
The top-level course was a blend of assessing the candidates’ knowledge and ensuring the pair have a structured framework to instruct, coach, observe and deliver constructive feedback to students.
Shaun said: “We were fortunate to be assessed by two amazing and supportive RYA Yachtmaster instructor trainers, Andy and Chris, who were incredibly knowledgeable and made the week surprisingly fun. It was also reassuring to see that the training message we deliver at Turn to Starboard is the same as what the RYA expect, and focuses on safety, quality instruction and fun.”
Turn to Starboard help military personnel affected by operations to gain sailing qualifications and help start new careers in the marine industry. The Falmouth-based charity also offer sailing trips for Service families to spend time together on a skippered yacht.
Former Royal Marine Dan said: “Gaining this qualification feels fantastic and makes all the hard work in preparation worthwhile. To be validated by such highly experienced instructors adds confidence and self-belief, while the expert training honed my tuition skills which I can pass on to beneficiaries who sail with us.”
For immediate release
- Turn to Starboard Office: 01326 314262
- Email us at: email@example.com
- Website: turntostarboard.co.uk.
- Follow Turn to Starboard on Twitter: com/turntostarboard
- Find Turn to Starboard on Facebook: com/turntostarboard
- Or write to us at: Turn to Starboard, Falmouth Marina, North Parade, Falmouth, Cornwall, TR11 2TD
Notes to Editors
- Turn to Starboard is a Cobseo registered charity using RYA sailing courses to support Armed Forces personnel who have been affected by military operations. We support those who are Serving or Retired and their families.
- We help those retired from the forces and those still serving to get perspective on past events and focus on a successful future.
- Beneficiaries gain tangible experiences, expert training and career-building opportunities including the chance to gain internationally recognised marine qualifications.
- Registered Charity number 1148549
For further media information, please contact Mark Hardaker on 01326 314262 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.