***THIS JOB VACANCY HAS NOW CLOSED***
Job title: Finance Manager (full time)
Location: RHQ Para, Merville Barracks, Colchester Garrison, CO2 7UT
Salary: £32,500.00 plus pension
Submission deadline: Friday 5 June. Interested candidates should send CV and covering letter by email to email@example.com
Candidates should also be prepared to provide contact details of one reference, who has given consent to be contacted, but will only be contacted at the second stage.
Provisional interview dates: Wednesday 10 to Friday 12 June
Interview format: Skype video
SUPPORT OUR PARAS is a charity which supports the Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces through the welfare of veterans, serving soldiers and their families and through the maintenance of its regimental efficiency, ethos, spirit and heritage. We provide welfare assistance to veterans, serving soldiers and families to complement or fill the gaps in State provision, as well as supporting vital aspects of the Regiment’s daily life and history.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Finance Manager to join our Finance Team. The Charity’s offices are located within Merville Barracks in Colchester. The Finance Team is responsible for the overall financial management for the charity and its subsidiaries and supports the CEO, Finance and Investment Committee (FIC) and the Board of Trustees.
The Finance Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Finance Team, including bookkeeping, monthly reconciliations, assisting with monthly journals, making weekly payments, reporting to various stakeholders, liaising with the charity’s bankers and assisting colleagues from other teams. The Finance Manager reports to the Finance Director (part-time) and will be responsible for managing the work of the Finance Assistant (an MOD employee).
This role is integral to the smooth operation of the team and the running of the Charity. This role is varied and offers the opportunity to develop skills and experience.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Day to day financial management – bookkeeping, bank reconciliations and assisting in the monthly/quarterly journals
- Analysing various reports submitted by other departments for QuickBooks input
- Processing invoices and payments, via online banking and in rare cases via petty cash
- Monthly reconciliation of welfare payments
- Assisting the Finance Director with the budgeting, reforecasting, management accounts and year end accounts
- Processing monthly payroll and pension submissions
- Line managing the work of and supporting the Finance Assistant
- Assisting with the implementation and review of financial controls
- Acting as a key point of contact for employees and various stakeholders
- Assisting in the annual audit and with the preparation of the various audit files
- Supporting and providing cover for the other team members when required
- Any other Ad Hoc tasks to support the Charity as required
To be successful, you will have:
- Part or fully qualified accountant status (or equivalent)
- Experience in charity accounting and an understanding of the Charity SORP
- Experience in a similar role – bookkeeping and management accounting
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to explain financial matters to non-financial individuals
- A willingness to support other team members and colleagues during busy periods
- Attention to detail and the ability to problem solve using own initiative
- The ability to work considerately within a small team
- An understanding of the Armed Forces would be advantageous
- Working knowledge of Quickbooks is desirable