***THIS JOB VACANCY HAS NOW CLOSED***
20 hours per week (worked over 4 days)
£20,000 per year (pro rata to £35,000)
Hybrid, including 1 day pw in London
Greenwich Hospital has been providing support to serving and former Royal Navy and Royal Marine personnel and their families for over 325 years. Their wellbeing is at the heart of everything we do, as we aim to make a real and lasting difference to the lives of those in need of support. Founded in 1694, we are a unique Crown Charity and the oldest Royal Navy charity. Last year, we spent nearly £6m in grants and other charitable activity in areas including education, housing and employability.
Can you raise our profile? We seek a skilled individual to manage our external communications. This role will include maintaining and updating our new website, growing our social media presence, drafting and proofreading press releases and other documents.
You will have excellent writing skills and be able to adapt them to different audiences. You are comfortable using different SM platforms and managing a website. Ideally, you will also have a relevant qualification.
Greenwich Hospital aims to be an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community, including former members of the armed forces
Visit https://www.grenhosp.org.uk/general/opportunities for further details
Deadline for applications: 9 a.m. on Monday 31 October
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview in London on Wednesday 16 November
Job title: Communications Officer
Salary: £20,000 per year (£35,000 pro rata)
Working hours: 20 hours per week, working 4 hours per day at times to be agreed, normally Monday – Friday
Location: Hybrid – at least one 4-hour day a week in the Central London office
Reports to: Charity Director
Works with: Charity Team, Head of Property, Senior Leadership Team (SLT)/Director
To lead Greenwich Hospital’s external communications, maximising communications opportunities to support our work. This role is responsible for developing and delivering high quality communications to a range of audiences to promote our work and support GH’s charitable activity targets, with a focus on engaging audiences to attract applications for charitable funding and spreading the work about the difference our charitable activity makes in the lives of those we support.
To improve awareness of Greenwich Hospital (GH)’s work, especially regarding our charitable grant-making work, creating and delivering a communications strategy, and ensuring that the GH Team have the materials – physical and virtual – to project GH as a modern, effective organisation.
- Develop and deliver the communications strategy for Greenwich Hospital, ensuring the delivery aligns to our wider strategy, providing innovation, efficiency and value for money
- Develop brand guidelines and tone of voice for all external communications
- Work with the team to develop key messages to support communications activity around priority areas for the charity. Draft and distribute (website, social media and some print) positioning statements to convey GH’s work and contribution to RN personnel, veterans and their families
- Develop and implement a calendar of engagement communications for key stakeholders
- Provide a proofreading service to the team to ensure all external outputs are high quality and consistent with our key messages and tone of voice
- Assist with report production including graphics
- Production of annual Impact Report, including work with Charity Team to ensure supply of materials
- Deliver active and non-controversial GH social media presence
- Keep the GH website current, relevant and accurate
- Liaise with Royal Navy and naval charities, Visit Greenwich and Royal Hospital School to ensure effective linkages and synergies with their work, including ensuring recipients of grants give good publicity to GH
- Identify and respond to press and social media communication opportunities from funded organisations, charity partners and across the naval community
- Update and maintain of GH’s branding and associated materials
- Respond (with Senior Leadership Team) to any media coverage of GH
- Advise the GH property function as necessary: in particular keep under review the Greenwich Market website and social media coverage of Greenwich Market which is delivered by Visit Greenwich
- Assess and report quarterly to the Head of Property on the performance of Visit Greenwich’s promotion of Greenwich Market with recommendations on how it could be done better
- Create and maintain GH picture and video library
- Collect and maintain case studies (in line with DP legislation)
- Measure/report on awareness of GH among its target audience
Good/improved awareness of GH amongst its target audience
Responsive, up-to-date website
Good social media presence for GH
Knowledge, skills & experience
|Excellent writing and drafting skills, including for social media, e-news, newsletters; the ability to tailor content to a variety of audiences
|Experience of developing and implementing impactful communications strategies across all channels
|Strong copywriting and proofreading skills: ability to edit others’ work for publication
|Ability to work with/mobilise colleagues to produce material/deliver objectives
|Social media – experience of tools, and in using them for corporate impact
|Production of professional published documents: experience of developing and delivering high quality content across a range of platforms and materials/experience of creating impact reports and producing flat plans.
|Comfortable using technology, especially with regard to graphics
|Project management skills
|Attention to detail.
|Knowledge and experience of web content management systems/Using effectively CRMs, CMSs and email platforms such as Mailchimp (highly desirable)
|Experience of operating successfully in Communications roles in small to medium organisations
|Understanding of/empathy with the work of the Royal Navy
|Experience of the charity sector
|Experience of working with senior management teams and consultants
|Qualification in journalism, PR or marketing
This job description is not contractual and may be modified over time in negotiation with the postholder.
- 5 days annual leave + public holidays (pro rata for part-time)
- Competitive salaries, reviewed annually
- Pension contribution to a defined contribution scheme with Legal and General – usually 7.5% of pensionable pay, with Greenwich Hospital matching employee contributions up to 7.5%.
- Pleasant Central London office
- Hybrid working, 2 days in the office minimum for full-timers
- Free office refreshments and basic kitchen facilities
- Collaborative culture
- Commitment to your learning and development
- Opportunities to learn about the Navy
- Enhanced maternity leave and pay, subject to eligibility
- Enhanced parental pay, subject to eligibility
Communications Officer – How to apply
Thank you for your interest in this newly created role. Should you wish to apply please send:
- a letter of application, addressed to me, outlining your ability to meet the demands of the person specification
- your c.v.
- contact details for two employment referees, one of whom should be your current or most recent employer
Please note that we will only consider applications that include both a letter and referee details.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9 a.m. on Monday 31 October.
We will invite shortlisted candidates to in-person interviews in Central London on Wednesday 16 November.
Thank you for your interest in working with Greenwich Hospital.