***THIS JOB VACANCY HAS NOW CLOSED***
***THIS JOB VACANCY HAS NOW CLOSED***
Full time, permanent contract based in Aylesford, Kent
Salary: £35-40,000 per annum, dependent upon experience
37 hours per week
Main purpose of job:
The Welfare Manager is a new role that takes on responsibility for the RBLI Welfare team. We have a range of projects being delivered and the service is growing. The Welfare Department provides information, advice and practical support and advocacy to veterans, their dependants, people with disabilities and those who are otherwise disadvantaged. We provide our services in a variety of settings but predominantly on the Royal British Legion Village, where the Welfare Manager will be based.
This service aims to enable service users to access the information and support that they need to improve their independence and overall quality of life with self-determination and confidence –- through the provision of individually tailored in-house or third party wrap-around welfare, healthcare, community engagement, employment and accommodation services; delivered to those who reside with, work for or otherwise engage with RBLI.
Overview of Role & Team:
RBLI is well-known locally and nationally as a charity dedicated to providing training, accommodation, welfare support, care and employment to the Armed Forces Community. We also provide similar services to those disadvantaged by disability, a health condition or social welfare needs.
Specifically, the role of the Welfare and Community Manager is the successful delivery of the following community and welfare support as a combined range of services:
- Personalised welfare support and development plans (STEP-IN Programme) through the Welfare Officer and Mountbatten Pavilion Administrator
- Health and Wellbeing support through the Health and Wellbeing Officer
- Delivery of the Aged Veterans Programme – outreach for veterans over 65yrs of age
- Liaise and work closely with external service providers.
- Take responsibility for the Community Hub and Café, ensuring it maintains a commercial offer balanced with a venue for community activities.
- Engagement with the wider Veteran community and management of specific engagement programmes.
- Liaise with specific in-house teams including:
- The RBLI Property Services Team who act as landlord and provide maintenance services
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Training Services who provide pre-employment training services through our LifeWorks Programme
- Gavin Astor House – RBLI’s high dependency nursing home located on the RBLI Village
- RBLI Domiciliary Care Agency which provides high quality domiciliary care services in the community
- Employment Solutions – RBLI’s welfare to work division that provides a range of Welfare to Work programmes
- Built By Britain’s Bravest Manufacturing Company – RBLI’s large social enterprise providing volunteering, on-the-job training and employment on the RBLI Village
- Supporting Britain’s Bravest – RBLI’s Marketing and Fundraising Team
Your Key Responsibilities:
- To work with residents of both working and pensionable age, supporting these beneficiaries ensuring they are in the most appropriate accommodation, undertaking resident assessments, managing and guiding residents through the STEP-IN Process (Support, Training, Evaluation, Personalised – Independence, Next Steps)
- To ensure beneficiaries are able to access services, health and wellbeing support, relevant employment training, life skills and improve their quality of life.
- To build a network of contacts, identify resources and develop partnerships with relevant external agencies and support providers.
- To stay abreast of current legislation and good practice, ensuring beneficiaries are able to access appropriate benefits and support.
- To access funding or grants from third party organisations that support vulnerable beneficiaries i.e. The Royal British Legion, SSAFA.
- To ensure that accurate records of beneficiary support, contact and referrals are maintained.
- To enable accurate monitoring and reporting of the Community Welfare service.
- To work closely with other team members and provide cover for other team members during periods of leave, sickness, training and so on.
- Ensuring the smooth running of the whole community hub and café facility in line with RBLI’s requirements and customers’ needs.
- Ensuring excellent standards of customer service are upheld by the whole team at all times.
- To ensure the smooth running of all hub events and meetings.
- Ensure all services promoted internally and externally and to work with the RBLI marketing and PR team to develop collateral and increased awareness.
- Working with RBLI’s Volunteering Manager to ensure balanced and fair utilisation of volunteers in all operational areas.
- Promoting a positive and inclusive approach to management of staff and volunteers.
- Holding appraisals in line with Company policy and developing your team as necessary.
- Managing staff absence – sickness, holidays etc.
- Ensure that appropriate training and development is undertaken personally and with the team.
- Ensuring the security of cash and premises.
- Ensuring sales and profits are maximised.
- Controlling, influencing and managing financial budgets in a professional manner.
- Ensuring all financial targets are met.
- Carrying out regular supplier bench-marking exercises to ensure efficient and best value purchasing of all goods and services.
- Managing stock and waste in a controlled, cost-efficient and professional manner.
- Taking joint responsibility for all Health & Safety compliance for the facility and escalating non-compliance appropriately.
- Taking joint responsibility for all Food Hygiene compliance for at relevant facilities and escalating non-compliance appropriately.
- Ensuring all other regulatory and RBLI policies and procedures are adhered to at all times.
- Keeping up-to-date HACCP records.
- Dealing with issues – staff, customer or general – in a professional and appropriate way and reporting as appropriate.
- Other duties as reasonably required.
- Empathetic and most importantly approachable
- Objective but understanding
- Attentive to detail;
- Resilient and determined;
- Rational and not quick to jump to conclusions
- Inclusive approach to staff matters
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Personable and positive manner
- Diligent and able to work on own initiative.
- Financially astute
- Trustworthy and reliable
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people including children and adults, those with disabilities, families and professionals
- Mainly located at the RBLI Offices situated on the Royal British Legion Village in Kent but with some Kent/London and potentially national travel occasionally
- Direct contact with beneficiaries in their homes
- Contact with and supervision of vulnerable adults
Skills & Experience Required:
- Qualification at Level 5 or above in Education or Health and Social Care – or equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years in a Care Management position within a welfare delivery organisation.
- Understands the military mind-set.
- Line Management experience and good motivational skills.
- Practical experience and understanding of disabilities and barriers faced by individuals.
- Clear understanding of relevant legislation and best practice such as confidentiality, safeguarding vulnerable adults. Ability to work within this framework, deadlines and RBLI policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to use IT equipment and windows based computer programmes for recording, monitoring and communication purposes.
- Ability to travel independently to visit beneficiaries at their home / other venues; and travel further afield to represent RBLI.
- Ability to work flexible hours (at the request of RBLI) including occasional evening and weekend work to meet requirements.
- Knowledge of education, health and social care provision.
- Knowledge of Welfare, Health Care Plans.
Appropriate DBS Check clearance.
- Experience of working in a community setting
- Understanding of the Care Act
- Fundraising and bid writing experience
- First aid trained
- Armed forces experience
RBLI offer 25 days holiday per annum pro rata, a Group Flexible Retirement Plan, Life Assurance and Childcare Vouchers.
If you wish to be considered for the above role, forward your CV and covering letter including a supporting statement to firstname.lastname@example.org
* RBLI reserves the right to remove a vacancy at any time prior to the published closing date.
RBLI is an equal opportunities employer.
CLOSING DATE: 23 June 2017
NO AGENCIES PLEASE