***THIS JOB VACANCY HAS NOW CLOSED***
***THIS JOB VACANCY HAS NOW CLOSED***
Location: Central London
Reporting to: Office Manager
Salary: £25,000 pa pro-rata
Seafarers UK (Reg Charity No. 226446) – www.seafarers.uk – is a charity that has been helping people in the maritime community for 100 years by providing vital funding to support seafarers in need and their families. In our busy Centenary year, we are looking for an Administrative Assistant to support our small team across a wide range of office functions, and to prepare for a major Conference and the Annual National Service for Seafarers.
To support the Office Manager in order to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the Reception and main administration office of Seafarers UK, and in the provision of administrative and secretarial assistance in the maintenance of a robust and progressive governance structure. In particular, this will extend to the organisation and conduct of two high profile events, namely a Conference and a National Service of Commemoration.
To assist the Facilities Manager in the maintenance of a safe and legislatively compliant office environment.
- Support the day-to-day running of the Reception Office at 8 Hatherley Street, London and provide effective administrative assistance to all staff
- Offer a welcoming environment to visitors and external colleagues
- Organise refreshments and lunch for meetings as required
- Manage appropriately incoming enquiries from the general public either through the switchboard or via the charity’s email, liaising with specialist staff as required
- Assist with all outgoing post and courier collections
- Assist with packaging of goods/documents for dispatch and with bulk mailings
- Assist with general maintenance and housekeeping of Reception and meeting areas
- Assist with the maintenance and update of key contact databases
- Have a good understanding of and adherence to Seafarers UK’S Data Protection Policy
- Have an understanding of, and a commitment to, the principles of Health and Safety at work
- Provide general administrative support across the Executive Department as required
- Provide general administrative and secretarial support to the Chairman and Trustees, and to the Director General of Seafarers UK
- Provide cover in the absence of the Office Manager
- Undertake any other ad-hoc duties you might reasonably be requested to perform in support of the Charitable Objectives of Seafarers UK
Event administration specific tasks:
- Maintain participant database and manage invitee and attendee lists
- Assist with mail-outs
- Prepare forms and letters
- Arrange the printing of tickets and programmes
- Liaise with staff at the event venue
- Liaise with participating individuals and organisations as required, including, but not limited to VIPs, Clergy, Schools, Military personnel, Police and Government Officials
- Attend the event which may be in the evening or at a weekend
Skills and experience
Essential to the role is:
- A high standard of personal presentation
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Previous Reception/administrative experience
- Good computer literacy, with proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail
- Personal initiative and self-motivation
- Ability to work within a team
- Ability to define priorities
- An understanding of the Charity sector and the governance framework
- Starting Date – 2 May 2017 or as soon as possible thereafter
- Hours of Work – 28 hours pw, hours by arrangement
- Leave Allowance – 30 days pa pro-rata
- Group Pension Scheme
- Group Health Care Provision
- The closing date for applications for this post is Tuesday 18 April and interviews will be held in London during the week commencing Monday 25 April.
- CVs should be submitted via email to:firstname.lastname@example.org accompanied by a covering letter (A4, 1 side) outlining why you feel you fulfil the requirements of the job.
- Those called for interview will be expected to bring their current valid passport with them in order that the right of an individual to reside and work in the UK can be verified prior to any offer of employment being made.
Seafarers UK will only use the personal information provided in order to process the application in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. Seafarers UK is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment; the objective is to ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and otherwise treated solely on the basis of their relevant aptitudes, skills and abilities.