***THIS JOB VACANCY HAS NOW CLOSED***
SSAFA, the Armed Forces charity, is seeking a Fundraising Trustee to join our purpose-driven and passionate Council (Board of Trustees). Are you ready to play a leading role in shaping the strategic direction of the UK’S oldest national tri-service charity?
Founded in 1885, we have a rich history of providing a range of exceptional services, with the needs of our beneficiaries at the heart of everything we do. We are deeply committed to our mission:
We exist to relieve need, suffering and distress amongst the Armed Forces, veterans and their families in order to support their independence and dignity.
This is an exciting time to join our Council to help shape the future of this dynamic and relevant charity, as we steer SSAFA through a significant change programme – SSAFA@140. The knowledge and experience you will bring to the role of Fundraising Trustee will be instrumental in this period of strategic change and have a lasting impact on the lives of our beneficiaries.
About the Role
- The purpose of this role is to bring insight and understanding of the function of fundraising and the regulatory framework that governs best practice in charity fundraising, as well as ensuring that SSAFA’s fundraising practices are legally compliant.
- The Trustee responsible for fundraising will support and challenge the fundraising strategy and plans, in as much as they help SSAFA achieve its long-term aims and short-term business targets, highlighting opportunities and risks.
- Other duties include: translating the risks and opportunities of fundraising for other Trustees, to enable the board as a whole to make informed decisions; leading on fundraising-specific initiatives where appropriate; and the statutory responsibilities of Trusteeship.
- For further details about the role, you will find the Role Description in the Recruitment Pack.
- This is a voluntary role, but all reasonable out-of-pocket expenses will be reimbursed. We will also provide all the necessary, ongoing training to support you in this role.
Requirements for the Role
- An experienced and successful charity fundraiser with knowledge of diverse income generation practices and experience of operating at board level.
- An understanding of the current challenges and opportunities in income generation for a charity such as SSAFA.
- A well-respected individual, willing to advocate publicly for SSAFA and help build a community of people who are passionate about who we are, what we do and the difference we make.
- Demonstrable experience of building and sustaining relationships with key stakeholders and colleagues to achieve organisational objectives.
- The tenure for this role is an initial three-year term, with the possibility of serving a maximum of three terms in total.
- We are looking for someone who has the time to commit to four Council meetings and four committee meetings annually, the Annual Members Meeting and any relevant conferences as agreed.
- A DBS check may be required for this role.
We are deeply committed to equality, diversity and inclusion and we welcome applications from all members of our society.
If you have any queries or would like to speak to someone about this role, please contact Kirsty Bushell, National Vice-Chairman of Trustees at email@example.com for an informal discussion.
To apply: Please email a copy of your CV, a covering letter and the monitoring and declaration form which accompanies this advert to our Volunteer Experience Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date: Midnight on Thursday 13 May 2021.
Interviews: Will be held at the end of May 2021. Interviews will be held virtually, due to Covid-19.