Starting salary: c.£30,000 experience dependant.
Deadline: 20 September 2021
Main Purpose of the Role:
To lead on external and internal communications, predominantly digital and design support, for all areas of the charity.
Environment of the Job:
The Not Forgotten is a small not for profit organisation, with a team of just 10. Through social activities and challenge holidays, we combat isolation and loneliness amongst the Armed Forces community and support any serving man or woman who is wounded, injured or sick and any veteran with a disability, illness or infirmity; whatever the cause and whenever it arose. We are renowned for our personal style and ethos, and for the exceptional and wide-ranging support we provide to our beneficiaries. The organisation is funded by donations and is overseen by a board of Trustees. The job is currently based in the charity’s offices at 2 Grosvenor Gardens SW1W 0DH, but requires the post holder to be prepared to travel to support the charity’s activities throughout the UK.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as main day-to-day lead on communications for the charity; managing internal and external communications, as well as handling larger external marketing and PR projects and campaigns from start to finish, as required
- Lead on Social Media activity including conception, creation and implementation of content; organising and scheduling campaigns, as well as day-to-day comms outputs across various social channels, ensuring that they adhere to the Charity’s guidelines.
- Writing, editing and publishing of regular engaging content, both online and offline, promoting the charities news, events and fundraising efforts, including the charity newsletter.
- Management and updating of the website on a weekly basis.
- Create publicity material – both electronically and in print for distribution at events – using in-house design platform where possible.
- Commissioning, managing and delivering externally produced creative projects and publicity material, by sourcing and liaising with various external providers such as photographers, videographers, designers, PR agencies and online advertisers to ensure high quality outputs are maintained and that they adhere to The Not Forgotten’s objectives, mission and values.
- Managing timely production of the Annual Review and all other printed publicity materials.
- Support the Head of Events as required and ensure all Not Forgotten activities are photographically captured and recorded.
- Support the Fundraising Co-ordinator with all fundraising communications as required.
- Support the Office & Database assistant with updating the database and list management.
- Recording of qualitative and quantitative impact statements / feedback from events.
- Develop an integrated communications strategy to raise awareness of The Not Forgotten, its objectives, mission and values.
- Oversee communications and publicity budget, ensuring optimal use and value for money.
- Other Duties and tasks
- Be prepared to travel to and attend Not Forgotten events, specifically Royal events.
- Carry out additional duties as requested by the Senior Management Team (SMT).
- Dimensions of job
The individual will be required to help other members of the staff during periods of high activity and be prepared to represent the charity at events as directed by the SMT. In addition to the above tasks the individual will be expected to identify areas for job specific training which will improve their ability to successfully perform their role.
It is critical that the applicant has a strong empathy with the charity’s objectives and our beneficiary base.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: a team player who enjoys working collaboratively with all other team members to deliver the most effective comms for the charity.
- The maturity, self-discipline and self-motivation to work without supervision – able to set, work to and meet deadlines effectively, with the ability to manage own tasks/priorities effectively.
- A demonstrable flexible work ethic, willing to play their part in all the charity’s activities.
- Display initiative; a proactive problem solver, able to see and seize opportunities.
- Must have excellent working knowledge of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Knowledge of LinkedIn would also be beneficial.
- Must be a strong and fluent communicator; both verbal and written.
- Experience of Canva or similar content creation platform to deliver digital and offline comms.
- Must have a basic working knowledge of Google Analytics and Social Media Insight tools.
- Must have a working knowledge of WordPress for day-to-day website management.
- Must possess comprehensive IT skills; including basic video editing skills and competent use of basic design software.
- Must have demonstrable experience of writing a communications strategy, working to KPIs set.
- Experience of Mailchimp email marketing platform.
- Experience of Donorfy database system.
- Experience of Adobe’s suite; including Premiere Pro, InDesign and Photoshop.
- Experience of Buffer’s social media publishing and analytics tools.
- Working knowledge of visual delivery such as video editing, photography briefing.
- A good understanding of general office management and charity communication systems.
- Be able to engage with confidence and professionalism with beneficiaries, benefactors and the wider public, and represent the charity at outside events.
- An eye for following brand guidelines.
- Knowledge of the British Armed Forces would be helpful, but is not a requirement.
Applications should be made to the Chief Executive at email@example.com enclosing a covering letter (highlighting strengths and appropriate/relevant experiences and skills) and a CV.