***THIS JOB VACANCY HAS NOW CLOSED***
About the Royal Naval Association
The Royal Naval Association (RNA) is a rank-free membership organisation primarily for serving and former serving RN personnel and their families who are proud of their Naval Service. With our central tenets of Unity, Loyalty, Patriotism and Comradeship and most importantly fun, we seek to maintain the naval ethos and enjoy sharing experiences with like-minded people while supporting each other when needed. The RNA was established in 1950 and was recognised with a Royal Charter in 1954.
Never more so has the wellbeing of our members been at the forefront of our endeavours and the recent challenges we have all faced with the Covid pandemic steels our resolve to look out for each other and deliver wellbeing programmes which meet the identified needs of our membership.
- Job Title: Communications Manager
- Location: RNA Central Office, HMNB Portsmouth (occasional travel and overnight stays may be necessary to support events around the UK) Working from home possibilities
- Status: Full time – 37.5 hrs
- Salary: £31,000 – £33,000 (depending on skills and experience)
- Benefits: 10% employer pension contribution
- Holiday: 30 working days plus 8 Public/Bank holidays
- Reporting to: General Secretary (Chief Executive)
The Association is seeking to recruit an experienced Communications & Marketing Manager to continue the development and delivery of cross-platform communications and marketing for our dynamic and rapidly growing organisation. The ideal candidate for this role will be an experienced leader and communicator who is resilient, creative and inclusive with a passion for supporting the Armed Forces community.
- Lead on developing organisational narrative and messaging and work closely with others to create an annual communications plan, identifying and sequencing priority organisational messages and moments
- Lead on the RNA’s media strategy, helping to achieve campaign impact, brand and wider strategy objectives through influential media work and partnerships.
- Lead on all aspects of communications (external/internal/campaign/crisis/digital) and provide media and communications advice to the organisation’s senior leadership and board of trustees.
- Manage the creation of compelling, creative content to provide a consistent, targeted, and impactful message that promotes the image and ethos of the organisation
- Support data and statistical analysis gathering for monitoring purposes and the creation of Impact Reports / external funding reports / annual reports.
- Manage the Communications Assistant and any communications volunteers within the team.
- Support regular RNA National and ad hoc events.
- Attend project planning meetings with external partners.
- Generate content across various channels including newsletters, social media and websites.
- Provide admin support to the CEO especially regarding Communications & Marketing development.
Skills and Knowledge
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in an externally facing communication or marketing role with a history of successful stories, publications, and multimedia content.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a communications/marketing subject, ie journalism, strategic communications, public relations, business marketing, creative marketing, or considerable proven experience in communications/marketing roles.
- Experience working with national, local and specialist media, ideally across a range of media channels with a well proven record of published work, whether print, multimedia or digital.
- Experience initiating and developing creative and compelling stories and campaigns for various audiences and across various media channels.
- Experience of visual brand development/rebranding.
- Experience of communicating with a wide diversity of audiences (ages/genders/ethnicities/backgrounds)
- An understanding of data privacy and the required legal regulatory environment around external communications.
- A good understanding of graphic design programs such as Adobe, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Canva
- A basic understanding of search engine optimization
- Strong IT skills, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
- Effective budget management.
- Awareness and understanding of the role of charitable trusts and foundations
- An understanding of, and empathy with the work of the Service Charities.
- Knowledge of Royal Navy and possessing strong Navy wide/MOD contacts.
- Experience in effective use of paid media with the ability to analyse the return on investment from usage.
Essential Personal Attributes
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, together with a courteous, flexible, and helpful approach to engaging with people at all levels.
- Ability to work flexibly on own initiative without supervision when required, and to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Organised approach to work, with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to manage a diverse workload, prioritise tasks, and deliver work to agreed deadlines.
- Have strong cultural and inter-personal awareness and sensitivity
- Ability to take the initiative, be creative, and solution focused.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and good team working skills.
- A pride in and respect for the Royal Navy and an appreciation of its traditions, characteristics, and workings.
How to apply
We invite interested candidates, who meet the requirements, to email their applications. Applications must include:
- A Supporting Statement explaining how your skills and experience fit the role.
- A CV (no more than 2 sides of A4) specifying your qualifications, education, and relevant work experience.
Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 17 Dec 2021 with a view to interview w/c 3 Jan 2022