***THIS JOB VACANCY HAS NOW CLOSED***
£80,000 plus benefits
London-based with national travel required
Do you excel in leading and working with small teams with a passion and empathy for our Armed Forces and a pragmatic and professional approach?
Do you have a good understanding of armed forces resettlement, transition and the wider employment issues Service personnel of all ranks face when leaving the Royal Navy or Royal Marines?
Are you at ease talking with a sailor and a general about their personal finances and pension
Are you passionate about working for a highly respected charity that makes a real difference to its clients?
The White Ensign Association is looking for a suitable candidate to replace the current Chief Executive Officer who is moving on from the role after ten years. This is a fantastic opportunity for a suitably qualified and experienced individual to build on the work of the existing regime and lead the charity through the challenges of the next decade. Candidates should be natural collaborators, possess exceptional leadership qualities and have the ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders at all levels. A strong understanding of the Royal Navy and Royal Marines, and the wider Armed Forces environment will be essential.
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible for the provision of strategic direction and leadership of the charity to ensure it meets its charitable objectives and the delivery of advice, guidance, and casework for serving and retired members, and their families, of the Royal Navy & Royal Marines as required. The main areas of responsibility are:
- The oversight of services and leadership of employees of the White Ensign Association.
- External representation of the Association relevant to the charity’s activities and to maintain or develop long term relationships with other service charities and like-minded organisations.
- The development and delivery of all income generation, fundraising and influence/advocacy events and initiatives.
- To maintain and recommend appropriate HR and safeguarding policies and practices for staff and clients.
- The leadership of all marketing and PR activity and issues.
- The oversight of the charity’s financial activity and governance practices.
- As Regional Manager London, the West of England and Wales to provide advice, guidance, conduct personal interviews and undertake casework for serving and retired members, and their families, of the Royal Navy & Royal Marines based or residing in these geographical regions.
- This role will require national travel with some overnight stays away and occasional evening and weekend work. The candidate should be prepared to work outside normal hours when necessary.
Candidates will be considered who can demonstrate the following:
- A current or recent, successful career in the Royal Navy or Royal Marines able to deliver leadership, relationship building and management skills at a senior level. (E)
- Business development experience. (D)
- The provision of support to, or participation within a senior management board structure. (E)
- Be a highly motivated self-starter. (E)
- The ability to work in small teams. (D)
- Highly developed organisational, administrative and communication skills – both written and verbal. (E)
- Previous charity or not-for-profit experience. (D)
- Experience and understanding of military pension policy and delivery (D)
- The ability to listen and gain the confidence of others. (E)
- Strong mentoring skills. (D)
- Personal integrity and a natural confidence in dealing with all levels of public sector, and commercial organisations. (E)
- Experience in, or understanding of, working in the wider Armed Forces and public sector environment. (E)
- Hold a UK Driving Licence and be prepared to undertake significant national travel. (E)
- Be proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office suite. (E)
A salary of £80K plus an 8% personal pension contribution and 28 days leave plus public holidays.
For further information or an informal discussion, please contact the Chief Executive, John Lavery, on 02079408131 or 07789074914, or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further information on The White Ensign Association can be found on the charity’s website (www.whiteensign.co.uk).