***THIS JOB VACANCY HAS NOW CLOSED***
Salary: circa £30k
At Help for Heroes, we believe those who serve our country deserve support when they are wounded. Every day, men and women have to leave their career in the Armed Forces as a result of physical or psychological wounds; their lives changed forever. We help them, and those still serving, to recover and get on with their lives.
And who are we you’re wondering? We are experts and beginners. Generalists and specialists. Ordinary people with an extraordinary passion towards making a positive change to the lives of our veterans (and having fun while doing it).
As One Team we share a philosophy – I.C.A.R.E. It’s the way we walk and talk, the way we interact with others and how we approach everything we do. We are: Innovative – Collaborative – Authentic – Resourceful – Energetic. We have an incredible opportunity for a Communications and Advocacy Officer to join our team. Please see below for more information on what just might be your future role.
Build Help for Heroes’ profile as the leading charity supporting wounded veterans & families in the UK, ensuring that the voice of the beneficiary is always represented by the Charity, internally and externally
- Build and protect Help for Heroes’ position as the leading charity supporting wounded veterans, by identifying proactive and reactive opportunities to communicate our cause.
- Plan, deliver & evaluate the Charity’s communication and connection strategy with beneficiaries
- Provide knowledge & understanding of beneficiaries to inform charity-wide projects, including Public Affairs, PR, Marketing & Fundraising
- Ensure regular communications to beneficiaries are delivered and evaluated
- Support with the development of an engagement journey for beneficiaries ensuring ongoing connection
- Work closely with Chief Advocacy Ambassador to develop the Ambassador programme, including evaluation and reporting
- Monitor the media and share relevant stories & developments with internal stakeholders
- Track and evaluate media coverage of the charity and support with the national press office
- Proactively identify media opportunities to support national campaigns, the national communications strategy and the Charity’s overall strategic plan
- Support and advise on responses to the national news agenda that affect our beneficiary audiences
- Identify and support in the delivery of consented beneficiary case studies to support MarComms activity
- Support the daily running of the Charity’s Press Office, including participation in an out of hours on call rota.
Essential Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Minimum of 3 years relevant experience.
- A friendly, confident character with excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to plan ahead whilst still able to work at a fast pace with changing priorities
- Ability to complete work in a timely manner, meeting deadlines whilst able to manage upwards and downwards
- Experience working under pressure and with changing priorities
- Ability to understand the charity and fit in with the tone of voice
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An interest in current affairs and an understanding of the different types of media outlets
- A positive attitude to work and be passionate about the cause.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Experience working in military, healthcare or similar sector
Key Competencies & Behaviours
- Confident and polite manner
- Ability to build rapport quickly and to understand needs and expectations
- Positive, empathetic, patient, polite and friendly manner
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Displays the highest levels of integrity, confidentiality and commitment
- Respond quickly to changing demands and demonstrate strong skills in prioritisation and time management
- Work within a range of environments and working cultures, adapting personal style accordingly
- Lead and drive work forward with minimal direction
- Analyse information quickly and communicate in a concise and articulate manner
- Well organised with the ability to prioritise
- Attention to detail in all aspects of work
- Demonstrates an ability to work as part of a team and be a flexible team player
- Demonstrates self-motivation
- Flexible re. hours of work
Model our Values. We are:
Help for Heroes is committed to safeguarding and ensuring the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment. The suitability of all prospective employees or volunteers will be assessed during the recruitment process in line with this commitment.