Age UK runs weekly telephone friendship groups for older people with a seafaring background. The calls are a chance to share experience, memories, and make new connections in a safe and friendly space. Each call is run by a volunteer facilitator, is around 1 hour long and takes place at the same day and time each week.
We have capacity to take on new older people with a seafaring background on these groups and would love to receive more referrals. You can find out more about the calls here:
Who can join the group calls?
Anyone aged 60 or over who would benefit from a friendly chat, and has a seafaring background, or is connected to seafaring in some way.
This could include:
- Merchant Navy
- Royal Navy
- Royal Fleet Auxiliary
- Royal Marines
- anyone else who has worked at sea in any capacity.
It also includes spouses, partners, and family members of anyone with a seafaring background.
Please note, group calls may not be suitable for people with memory loss, dementia or mental health issues that require higher level support. These conditions may affect the person’s ability to build friendships within a group. In some instances, people with these conditions may actually find the calls more distressing.
How are referrals made?
Older people can refer themselves to our service, or can be referred by a third party, with permission. We will need to take a few personal details such as full name, DOB, address and telephone number. Our friendly team will then get back in touch to discuss the service in more detail and make sure the groups are right for them.
It’s quick and easy to make a referral, just follow one of the options below:
Making a referral online:
- Visit the Age UK referral link, as below:
- You should select the option to be part of a group call with other members and enter the required basic details
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org each time you make a referral with the person’s full name and advising it is for a Seafarer so we can make sure we prioritise the referral.
Making a referral by phone
- Phone our friendly team on 0800 434 6105 (Open 8am-6pm Mon-Fri and 10am-6pm weekends and bank holidays)
- Advise them you want to make a referral for Seafarers group calls, and they will take the required basic details
How can I promote the service/find out more?
You can order leaflets to promote our service, please find attached a copy of our leaflet. These also contain referral forms which can be sent to you by post. If you’d like to order some of these leaflets, then please email email@example.com advising us of how many you’d like to order, and we’ll be very happy to provide these.
If you have any questions about the calls or would like to discuss working in partnership, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.