Board of Trustees of the QARANC Association
Office Manager (Line Manager)
Overview: the editor is responsible to the Board of Trustees & Office Manager to produce the QARANC Association Gazette twice a year in the Spring and Autumn, and with the Editorial Board, its strategic development. The Editor will attend Board of Trustee meetings and provide a written report through the Media & Communications sub-committee, of which they are a member.
Roles and Duties
• Manage the production processes with support from the Office Manager and Association office staff.
• Deliver, with Office Manager and Editorial Board, the strategy for the Gazette.
• Ensure the Gazette complies with copyright and other legal requirements.
• Create and maintain a consistent house style.
• Liaise with authors of material submitted for publication in a timely manner, allowing for resubmissions before closing dates.
• Maintain and keep up to date the email submissions, and correspondence with authors in a timely (monthly) manner.
• Maintain awareness of current military language and nomenclature to enable copy editing and ensure accessibility for all readers.
• Liaise with the Office Manager and RHQ for the provision of regimental occurrences, Last Post entries and obituaries, other announcements, and diary dates.
• Copy edit each edition of the Gazette, including but not limited to, checking grammar and spelling, adjusting the style, fact checking, checking references and correcting proofs from the publishers.
• Liaise with the Office Manager and publishing company to agree a timeline for each edition, order of content and general layout.
• Identify institutions and individuals who should receive a copy of the Gazette.
• Maintain an archive on SharePoint team site.
• Maintain time sheets of work done/meetings attended/training etc and submit to the Office Manager on a monthly basis.
• Attend quarterly Media & Communications sub-committee meetings, Editorial Board meetings and four Board of Trustee meetings a year.
• Can demonstrate a high level of written English – Essential
• Pays close attention to detail – Essential
• Has familiarity with Microsoft 365 and on-line file transfers – Essential
• Has proven time management and project management skills – Essential
• Able to communicate effectively with tact and diplomacy – Essential
• Able to work independently and as part of a team – Essential
• Member of the QARANC Association – Desirable
• Educated to graduate level – Desirable
RHQ have issued a laptop and printer to the editor as flexible working is encouraged. Paper and other stationary is provided by RHQ and receipts for ink are submitted for payment.
The editor is paid an hourly rate (presently £10), the editor completes time sheets and submits these to the Office Manager. Editing hours vary; this depends on the number of articles submitted, the standard of submissions.
The ability to work self-employed within this role is acceptable.
For more information or to submit a CV please email the Office Manager, Sarah Young at email@example.com