***THIS JOB VACANCY HAS NOW CLOSED***
36 month fixed term contract, based in Erskine, Scotland, 37 hours per week
Salary: £30,000 per annum
Main Purpose of the Job:
To enable SBMC to fulfil its desire to become an accredited SQA Centre.
To develop and help deliver recognised qualifications in sign-making, manufacturing operations, logistics and potentially more areas within SBMC’s factory in Erskine, Renfrewshire.
To help participants in their career development by improving job seeking skills including career planning, CV writing and interview techniques.
To support partners at Glasgow Caledonian University in their assessment of the impact that accredited training and qualifications make to the lives and prospects of job seekers.
Overview of the Role & Team:
Many who leave the Armed Services transition to civilian life relatively easily. However, for far too many, it can be an incredibly challenging time – particularly for those who face unique daily struggles with physical or mental disabilities. We aim to provide a truly comprehensive, flexible and rewarding training programme which can help our ex-servicemen and women regain their independence and achieve their goals in life.
Through analysis of the many aspects of employment undertaken within SBMC’s operation, the job holder will work with the management and beneficiary employees (a majority of whom are veterans) to develop accredited training packages while the factory continues to function as a commercial concern.
SBMC is a social enterprise and a division of Royal British Legion Industries. It was set up in 2018 to help veterans and others to regain their independence through training, skills and employment. Primarily they specialise in sign-making but have a number of machines and tooling to enable other manufacturing operations to be completed too. They also complete their own dispatch and receipt of stock and operate associate plant/vehicles to assist the business.
At present, the workforce consists of a small full time cohort and 10 beneficiaries who complete an 18 month fixed term contract at SBMC. This number is increasing slowly and this reflects the growth of the business. We have every intention to grow both full time and beneficiary element of the workforce as the business’ fortunes increase.
There will also be scope for volunteers at SBMC to take part in training and to gain valuable recognised qualifications in exchange for their commitment to our work.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- To enable SBMC to fulfil its desire to become an accredited SQA Centre
- To develop and deliver recognised qualifications via flexible plans tailored to individuals
- To help participants in their career development
- To support partners at Glasgow Caledonian University in their assessment of the impact that training and qualifications make to the lives and prospects of job seekers
- To identify wider opportunities for the project based on good practice from other SQA Centres
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Enthusiastic approach to the teaching and training of others
- A team player who values the wider, long term success of the organisation
- Self-starter who can work unsupervised towards agreed goals and outcomes
Patient and able to adjust training methods to suit those with disabilities and/or learning challenges
Working predominantly within Scotland’s Bravest Manufacturing Company base at Erskine the job holder will also liaise regularly with our partners at Glasgow Caledonian University.
Skills & Experience Required:
- SQA Accredited Vocational Trainer
- Experience in the design and delivery of accredited vocational training
- Educated to degree level or with demonstrable experience in an appropriate field
- Understanding of the challenges faced by disadvantaged groups including veterans, others with disabilities and disadvantaged
- Excellent written skills with ability to contribute to reports and academic papers
- Experience in industry or manufacturing operations
- Experience of working with veterans
- Experience of working with those with disabilities
- Similar experience or understanding of the differing challenges within a social enterprise or charitable organisation
RBLI offer 25 days holiday allowance per annum, a Group Flexible Retirement Plan and Life Assurance.
If you wish to be considered for the above role, forward your CV and covering letter including a supporting statement to firstname.lastname@example.org. RBLI is an equal opportunities employer.
* RBLI reserves the right to remove a vacancy at any time prior to the published closing date
Closing Date: 4 January 2020