Telephone and video interviews often form part of the interview process, so here are our top tips.
The aim of telephone and video interviews is to reduce the number of applicants to a shortlist. The interviewer wants to know if you can support the claims you made on your CV. If it goes well, you will usually be invited for a face-to-face interview.
- Know when the interview is and be ready 10 minutes before.
- Research the company’s website, social media channels and press releases.
- Research your interviewer, especially on LinkedIn.
- Highlight where your CV to the job description match.
- Practice with a friend before the interview.
- Dress smart casual, even for a telephone interview – it will make you feel professional but relaxed.
- Ensure you are in a quiet private room, where there are no pets or people to distract you.
- For a video interview, make sure the room is clean and tidy.
- Switch off any distracting devices.
- Make sure your device is fully-charged or connected to the mains.
- Check that your device is working properly, and for a video call ensure you have a reliable internet connection.
- Have a glass of water nearby.