The War Widows’ Association is seeking to recruit a number of trustees to replenish our Committee. We are proud of the progress we have made in the past 50 years and as we move forwards towards our next 50 we are seeking passionate individuals with strong can-do attitudes whose expert knowledge, skills and experience will continue to see the War Widows’ Association maintain and grow its position as the United Kingdom’s leading representative organisation for widows and widowers of Armed Forces Personnel where death has been caused or hastened by service.
We are specifically looking for individuals with experience in the following areas:
Finance, public relations, fundraising, note taking, sales, event’s organisation,
- The Association is seeking to appoint a new Treasurer who will in the first instance be co-opted to the role and attend Committee of Trustee meetings.
The Treasurer will maintain the day to day finances of the Association; e.g. payment of expenses, suppliers invoices etc by BACS or cheque; management of bank account; reconciliation of bank account; maintenance of the account record; financial reports for the Committee; preparation of the annual statement for examination/audit; etc. provide financial oversight and guidance to the Chairman and Trustees. The Treasurer will also have some financial authority delegated from the Committee of Trustees. The ideal candidate would be a qualified accountant or an individual with a strong financial background. While it would be preferred that the individual would not be a member of the Association, membership will not exclude you from applying.
The Committee of Trustees meets four times a year (usually face-to-face, in London) including a Finance Meeting usually in October. In addition the Annual General Meeting is normally held in March/April when the accounts are presented and members have the opportunity to question the Treasurer.
The tenure for this role would be for an initial probationary period of six months following which the appointment, if made, will be reviewed every three years. The Committee of Trustees would like to appoint someone as soon as possible.
- The Association is seeking to elect a Public relations Officer (PRO) to the Committee of Trustees. The successful individual will use all forms of media and communication to build, maintain and manage the Associations reputation. The role is varied and the tasks dependent on defined priorities, however it is expected that they will include
- planning, developing and implementing PR strategies
- communicating with trustees, regional organisers, members and key stakeholders internal and external to the Association
- researching, writing and distributing press releases to targeted media
- assisting with the production of the Association’s magazine, the production of publicity brochures etc
- maintaining and regularly updating information on the Associations website
- assisting with the management of our social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook
- As an Association managed totally by volunteers our trustees perform many roles which cut across many skill sets. As a trustee of the War Widows’ Association you should have strong networking skills and be able to represent the Association if called upon to do so. You will join a team of volunteers who have stepped up into a challenging and supportive environment who give their time freely to the Association. Trustees act as a collective so it is expected that the successful applicant/s will demonstrate that they :-
- are committed to and supportive of the purpose, objects and values of the Association
- are computer literate
- are strong communicators both orally and in written format
- can maintain confidentiality of sensitive and confidential information.
- understand the importance and purpose of meetings, and are committed to preparing for them adequately and attending them regularly.
- be able to analyse information and, when necessary, challenge constructively.
- be able to make collective decisions and stand by them.
- understand the importance of the role and associated governance function.
The Committee of Trustees meets four times a year (usually face-to-face, in London). In addition there is our Annual General Meeting normally held in March/April, Founders Service in June and our Remembrance events in November; all trustees are expected to attend these events. As a trustee you will be a volunteer, the Association does not have any paid staff or office premises, however reasonable out of pocket expenses are paid.
To apply you can obtain an application form from firstname.lastname@example.org . While we welcome applications and expressions of interest at any time. To be appointed/elected as a trustee to the 2021 Committee of Trustees at the Annual General Meeting in 2021 the closing date for applications is 30th November 2020.
Should you wish to discuss any of the positions in more detail, please contact Mary Moreland, Chair of the Committee of Trustees at email@example.com
Applicants will be called for interview in January 2021 when the current Committee of Trustees agree on names to be put forward for a members postal vote. The interviews, dependent on the latest Government guidelines will held face to face in London, alternatively interviews will be held via Microsoft Teams.
To find out more about the Association visit https://www.warwidows.org.uk/