***THIS JOB VACANCY HAS NOW CLOSED***
£53,500 plus benefits Full time London-based with national travel required
Are you an excellent team player with a passion and empathy for our Armed Forces and a pragmatic and professional approach? Do you have a good understanding of armed forces resettlement, transition and the wider employment issues Service personnel of all ranks face when leaving the Royal Navy or Royal Marines?
Are you passionate about working for a highly respected charity that makes a real difference to its clients?
The White Ensign Association is looking for a suitable candidate to replace the current Director of Operations who is moving on from the role after five years. This is a fantastic opportunity for a suitably qualified and experienced individual to build on the existing employment services offering and to develop the service into the next phase of its development. Candidates should be natural collaborators, possess exceptional leadership qualities and have the ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders at all levels. A good understanding of the Armed Forces, in particular the Royal Navy and Royal Marines, will be a considerable advantage.
The Director of Employment Services (DES) is responsible to the Chief Executive for the delivery of the WEA’s Employment Services. Main areas of responsibility are:
- Leadership and development of the WEA Employment Services strategy, ensuring currency and relevance are maintained in a fast-paced and highly changeable environment.
- The active casework management of individuals who have registered with the WEA for Employment Services, assisting them on a one to one basis with their WEA profiles, CV writing, interview preparation, networking and other employment-related issues.
- Development of relationships with commercial partners who have an interest in employing those from Royal Navy and Royal Marines backgrounds.
- Build and maintain key relationships with individuals in Defence, Industry and the Charitable sectors.
- Identify and pursue income generation opportunities for the Association.
- Management of the Association’s online Job Vacancy Notices.
- Management of the WEA’s Mentoring scheme and the development of the Networking Advisers database.
- Manage the WEA blog, website (employment elements) and Newsletter periodicals.
- Work independently or with other organisations to organise careers events, fairs and presentations in and outside military bases and establishments.
- Represent the WEA at events, awards ceremonies and other engagements to maximise exposure of the brand, increase awareness of its work and promote advocacy.
- This role will require national travel with some overnight stays away and occasional evening and weekend work. The candidate should be prepared to work outside normal hours when necessary.
Candidates will be considered who can demonstrate the following:
- A successful career background in leadership, coaching and mentoring and/or recruitment, executive placement, and account management. (E)
- Business development experience. (D)
- Strong partnership working and relationship building abilities. (E)
- Be a highly motivated self-starter (E)
- Highly developed organisational, administrative and communication skills – both written and verbal. (E)
- The ability to listen and gain the confidence of others. (E)
- Personal integrity and a natural confidence in dealing with all levels of public sector, and commercial organisations. (E)
- Experience in, or understanding of, working in the Armed Forces environment. (D)
- Hold a UK Driving Licence and be prepared to undertake significant national travel. (D)
- Be proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office suite. (E)
A salary of up to £53K plus wider benefits including a generous pension and leave allowance is available for the right candidate.
For further information or an informal discussion, please contact the Chief Executive, John Lavery, on 02079408131 or 07789074914, or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are invited now and should take the form of a CV and Covering Letter, outlining how you meet the competencies covered in the brief and explain why you would be a compelling candidate for the post. Applications should be made by email, to the Chief Executive, by 31 January 2020.
Further information on The White Ensign Association can be found on the charity’s website (www.whiteensign.co.uk).