Most officers are experienced in strategy, but how can you turn this into a corporate career?
We recently ran a webinar with Rachel De Renzy Channer, a former Army officer who helped to transform the corporate strategy of a FTSE 250 company. Rachel shared career advice, industry knowledge and her personal experiences.
What is a strategist?
A strategic planner helps a company to become more efficient, effective and competitive. It can be a highly rewarding role, where you can have real impact in an organisation.
Strategists work with all levels of management – from sales assistants to CEOs – to gain a complete understanding of the company. They also scrutinise corporate policies and procedures; business plans; financial forecasts; market analysis and supply chains.
Being a strategist involves the following:
- Identifying an organisation’s purpose
- Analysing how an organisation operates to achieve this purpose
- Making recommendations on how to increase growth and profitability
- Implementing the new strategy and gaining buy-in from staff
- Reviewing the strategy outcomes and suggesting further improvements.