Lisa Jones, an OA Career Consultant and former Army officer, shared her top career searching tips with BFBS Radio.
Give yourself time, because it can often take six to eight months to find the right job. If you are a Service leaver, allocate time away from your current role. Create a schedule so you work smartly and maximise your time developing opportunities. Be open with your family about needing to spend an evening or weekend focussing on your job seeking.
Our webinars give vital career insight, which you can watch live or at your convenience.
You are more likely to find relevant roles if you know what you want from your new career. Answer the following questions:
- What are your key strengths?
- What are your values and priorities?
- What roles would benefit from your key strengths?
- Do you want to work for a large corporation, a small business or yourself?
- Which industries are growing, and therefore actively recruiting?
- Where would you like to be in a few years’ time?
- What skills and experiences do you need for your professional development?
- Your answers will shape your job search. Remember, your next job is a stepping stone in your career, rather than a final destination, so you should regularly re-evaluate your responses.
Our Career Consultants can help you prepare for your career transition journey, so book a free appointment.