***THIS JOB VACANCY HAS NOW CLOSED***
The Minister for Defence Personnel and Veterans is seeking to make the above voluntary public appointments. Are you the person we need, can you carry out the functions and duties? Then apply as below:-
The Veterans Advisory & Pensions Committee is a Non-Departmental Public Body divided into 13 regional committees. 12 of the 13 regions are seeking new Members. Each Committee’s main functions are to:
- act as advocates for implementing the Armed Forces Covenant (https://www.gov.uk/the-armed-forces-covenant) and work in partnership with local authorities and other stakeholders to develop and deliver associated measures associated measures within the region
- raise awareness, within their region, of the Armed Forces Covenant and associated issues, the War Pension Scheme, Armed Forces Compensation Scheme, the Veterans Welfare Service and the availability of x-Government support to the Armed Forces, their families and Veterans
- assist veterans and their families in accessing local support services and to provide assistance and guidance to individuals in accessing the War Pension Scheme and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. To provide an independent element to the Veterans UK complaints process relating to those schemes. https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/veterans-uk
- based on their involvement in the wider process and their contact with individuals in the local areas, act as a conduit for local consultation by Ministers, the Ministry of Defence and the Veterans UK on issues affecting recipients of a pension/compensation from the War Pension and Armed Forces Compensation Schemes. http://www.veteranstransition.co.uk/vtrreport.pdf
Responsibilities and Skills
The VAPC Chairperson and members play a central role in promoting the interests and welfare of Veterans and their families https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/veterans-advisory-and-pensions-committees-x13. The committees meet between 2 and 4 times per year and members are expected to be involved in a wide range of activities, between these relating to the delivery of the functions of the committee set out above.
Annex A lists the regional committees that need to strengthen their membership. Some committees would benefit from taking on new Members from certain geographical areas and skill sets and applications from individuals meeting these criteria would be particularly welcome. The requirements within each Committee are also detailed in Annex A. If however you don’t fall into any of these groups we would still welcome your application. What is most important is that candidates should have a real commitment to supporting Veterans and their Families.
Candidates will need to demonstrate the following:
- an ability to contribute to a committee setting;
- good all round communication skills and be able to consider complex issues.
- an ability to look ahead and work with others to develop practical plans.
- an understanding of the Government’s commitment to veterans as set out in the Armed Forces Covenant.
- some experience or knowledge of service pensions and/or compensation schemes in terms of policy impact.
- a knowledge of service life
A Public Appointment will give you a chance to:
- help make decisions that affect people’s lives
- help make a difference and change things for the better in the public interest
- contribute your skills, expertise and experience for the benefit of society
- develop new skills, learn about new subjects and enhance your confidence
- meet a new range of people in different walks of life
- develop your career, for example, by gaining public sector board experience
- refocus your career, for example, if you have returned from a career break or maternity leave
- generally give something back and contribute to the delivery of the highest quality of public services in the public interest.
The position is an unpaid voluntary appointment but travelling and loss of earnings allowances will be paid.
Please go to the Public Appointments website via the following link to view the positions and apply: https://publicappointments.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/appointment/veterans-advisory-pensions-committee-members-regions-except-eastern/
The Ministry of Defence is committed to equality of opportunity for all and the principle of appointment based on merit following an open and transparent process and independent
assessment. An interview access scheme is available (for disabled candidates who meet the essential criteria for appointment). PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A PUBLIC APPOINTMENT NOT EMPLOYMENT. Closing Date for applications is 26/12/2017. Interviews will be held within each region at a venue to be announced.